Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Beyond Voltaire

Beyond lands where dreamers dream
Beyond a world past the stars
Beyond techniques where lovers weep
Beyond the waters where waves part

Beyond souls where playwrights quarrel
Beyond Shakespearean sonnets
Beyond life and all its meaning
Beyond jokes that sound ironic

Beyond praises shared by the few
Beyond the farm and its chicken coop
Beyond laughter from memories shared
Beyond poetry recited by Voltaire


While looking around at poetry forms, I came across a rhetorical device that I thought I could exploit. It's called Anaphora. When using this form, you repeat a word or phrase at the beginning of each line. I chose the word "beyond" because I felt it had deeper meaning. Later, I found out Voltaire was a poet and thought I should include him, partially because it helped with the rhyming.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment