Wednesday, June 26, 2013

William's Woman

O mistress mine, where are you roaming?
Cruelty has a human heart,
Go to sleep--though of course you will not-- 
There is a change--and I am poor;
THAT crazed girl improvising her music
Like as a flamelet blanketed in smoke.
Sweet stream that winds through yonder glade,
Thou shalt not laugh, thou shalt not romp
If you don't know the kind of person I am,
I am Day; I bring again.
Chequer'd with woven shadows as I lay
When maiden loves, she sits and sighs,
When Love arose in heart and deed
Immortal! William Shakespeare, there's none can you excel.

William Shakespeare - Carpe Diem (line 1)
William Blake - A Divine Image (line 1)
William Carlos Williams - A Goodnight (line 1)
William Wordsworth - A Complaint (line 1)
William Butler Yeats - A Crazed Girl (line 1)
William Ernest Henley - After (line 1)
William Cowper - A Comparison. Addressed To A Young Lady (line 1)
William Henry Davies - A Fleeting Passion (line 1)
William Stafford - A Ritual To Read To Each Other (line 1)
William Morris - Day (line 1)
William Allingham - A Day-Dream's Reflection (line 1)
William Schwenck Gilbert  - Ah Me! (line 1)
William Brightly Rands - The Flowers (line 1)
William Topaz McGonagall - An Address to Shakespeare (line 1)


This poem is a little different. It is called a Cento poem. It's a latin word that means "patchwork." The way this form work is by combining other lines from poems and making a poem out of it. I decided to go two steps further. I only took the first line from poems by poets with the first name "William." This was fun picking out the lines and I think the poem comes across as I wanted it to.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment